[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:10:10 -0700

On Jul 16, 2014, at 4:59 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I actually don't really understand why ProPhoto has become so popular, as it
> is neither fish nor fowl.

There's a very simple answer, but it's not a good one.

Adobe's RAW conversion software gives you the choice of outputting to sRGB,
AdobeRGB, or ProPhoto, and maybe some other obscure spaces. As with very early
Fords, you can have any color you like, so long as it's black.

If I still used Adobe's RAW converter, I'd likely use ProPhoto, too.

Now, why does Adobe limit your options?

That's an excellent question, and it has to do with their palpable animosity
towards ICC profiles and colorimetry in general. All discussion coming from
Adobe and their fans is centered around "pleasing" color, and they
contemptuously dismiss even the theoretical possibility that a camera is
capable of colorimetric accuracy and question what sort of a boor could
possibly desire such a thing in the first place. Which is complete bollocks, of
course, but it *is* effective at shutting down rational discussion....

Cheers,

b&