[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:17:32 +0100

Alan wrote:
<<It's important to distinguish the color space in LR vs the external editor
such as Photoshop.  To my knowledge, LR is only ProPhoto.  The Preference
tag you mention is only when the image is exported.  For those of us who
keep our images in LR (and I don't like your characterization of this as
'keeping things simple for simple photographers'; this is pejorative and
there are certainly lots of great photographers who are now limiting their
use of Photoshop with all the recent advances in the LR editing engine),
ProPhoto is the only available color space.>>

Actually, the preference tag only applies to opening images in an external
editor.  You can export to any profile you choose.

I intended no disrespect when I said 'keep it simple for simple
photographers' - I would consider myself a simple photographer in that I
very much appreciate things being kept simple and safe.  Too many choices
isn't always a good idea (for most of us) IMO. However, in this case Adobe
is clearly rethinking its decision (which I think is a poor one) as the
restriction has already been lifted in ACR.

I have no issue with the way that Lightroom works (or the effective use of
ProPhoto as the workspace) ... but I don't see that limiting the external
editing to sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB is useful.

Robert