[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:31:31 +0100

Graeme Gill wrote:

<<That's not true of Adobe in general - in other areas (i.e. Photoshop etc.)
they have been a great supporter of ICC format, and some of their staff have
been long time participants in the ICC itself. I guess that their photo
products team are not the same group of people ...>>

I think the current limit in Lightroom to sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB when
opening directly into Photoshop was an attempt to keep things simple for
simple photographers. All other exports in Lightroom can be to any profile,
there's no constraint at all.  Also, Lightroom can read and process files
saved in any profile (8, 16 and 32-bit), Lab, and maybe others (and open
these into Photoshop with the original profile). So if you open a file in
Lightroom which is in Lab, for example, adjust it and then open it from
Lightroom to Photoshop, the file will still be in Lab.

ACR now allows opening files into Photoshop using any profile, so I expect
Lightroom to follow in the next point release, or soon after.  The current
limitation with raw files is an artificial limitation which serves no
purpose except to stop users doing silly things without realising what they
are doing.

One work-around I've mentioned is that the raw image in Lightroom can be
opened as a Smart Object in Photoshop. The image can then be converted to
any profile. If the smart object is edited (in ACR, which is the only way to
edit a raw Smart Object), it will have the chosen profile 'attached' and the
editing will be constrained to this profile, as though it were a tif file
with the profile embedded).

Robert