[argyllcms] Re: Beta RGB As a Color Workspace

  • From: Iliah Borg <iliah.i.borg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 08:41:01 -0400

One of the complications is that camera "colour" is one thing, but when raw
image is edited a lot of colour-related things are changed. It starts right
with white balance, and in many cases demosaicking also affects colour.
Another issue is that applying intermediate conversions adds to noise, and it
is a lot of noise when it comes to shadows; and it is visually ugly noise.
My course is to keep the camera "colour space" as long as possible, and go to
UpLab after that for untwisted saturation corrections.
I do not see any point in using working RGB spaces during raw conversions. They
are not just unnecessary, not only call for extra conversions, adding to noise;
but they also get on the way of understanding raw numbers.

--
Best regards,
Iliah Borg