[SI-LIST] Re: Reducing SSO noise in an FPGA

  • From: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'fzanella@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <fzanella@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:29:54 -0600

Hi Fabrizio,

Very good question and one that has been on my mind
for quite a while for two reasons. One is how on earth
does one even measure SSN/PowerGnd bounce in a
BGA when all the pins are not accessible?
(I have used the paper clip probe - thanks Doug-
and it's a very useful indicator but by no means
definitive, perhaps Doug can expand on this).

The other concern is the seeming incompatibility of the
BGA package with low noise margins. For example typically
for 1.2V logic we use, we look for a 5% noise margin.
Using Larry Smiths power distribution formula, the implication
is we need a 60milliohm max impedance for the *entire*
voltage distribution not just the BGA. 60millihoms
translates to about 20pH of inductance at 500MHz.

Even if you pick the optimal values, I think the
inductance will still dominate.

Best Regards
Charles Grasso
Senior Compliance Engineer