-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:01:14 -0500

Roger,
    The statement that the one program cannot be installed separately is
most likely not true, but I completely understand them not wanting to get
into the level of detail with a phone support customer that we are willing
to do here.  Now that you have restored all of your programs, did that
procedure cause any additional problems such as the loss of any personal
files?  If your answer is no, then I'm extremely glad to hear the 'good
news'.

    As far as saving your stuff in preparation for a systemwide recovery, I
am surprised that you didn't do that before running the recovery CD to get
back your programs.  I would have been more than nervous about how the
recovery disk was about to treat my important stuff.         :O)

    Finally, my perseverance and support have not yet come to an end.

DISCLAIMER:
    As you go through your system to gather the locations I suggested in my
zip file, I want to apply some strong pressure on you to not limit what you
save to only those folders (you should feel me looking over your shoulder as
you go through the procedure).  While the following advice is both obvious
and natural, I will say it anyway.  "Never, ever limit your backup choices
to what someone else tells you is important."  Once the system has been
restored using a Recovery disk, it may be absolutely impossible for you to
recover anything you missed.  As a result, it's very important that you
carefully examine the contents of each and every folder on your hard drive
to make sure that something you wish to keep hasn't been overlooked.  I
cannot even begin to tell you how many times I've found other people's
missing downloads in a completely unrelated folder because they weren't
paying attention to the location chosen by their browser when they clicked
on a link.  Also, some apps save important files in non-standard locations.

    If you pay a fee to unlock a shareware program (these apps ask for a
serial number when installed), you are usually provided a registration
number or other procedure to unlock the program.  The application may save
the info in one of several types of files in its own folder or subfolders
(usually ending with .ini, but not always).  Most will save this info in the
registry and backing up the registry is not included in my folder
suggestions.  That last item should alert you that these serial numbers
should be collected and saved BEFORE performing the Recovery procedure.  If
you don't have this info already written down somewhere for a given
shareware app, I suggest running SIW (System Info for Windows) and using its
Licenses and Secrets areas to poll them from the registry so you can write
them down before proceeding.

http://www.gtopala.com

    If the serial number for a particular app does not show up under either
of these areas, open up the app and go to 'Help > About' in the program's
menu area (usually at the top of the app's window).  The registration info
should be available there.  If you are still unable to find it, give a yell.

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"