-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:16:13 -0500

Roger,
    I am always tickled when I hear that someone has enjoyed working with
one of my suggestions, however, full glory goes to the inventor/code monkey
who came up with the concept.  The fact that clicking on the grey produced
no response means that those are empty areas of your drive and you are not
in any immediate danger of running completely out of space.  This is truly
good news.

    You will most likely receive this at the same time you receive the book
I just finished writing for you in PCTT.  So, I will reiterate here that I
really want to hear any questions, concerns, queries, inquisitors, etc. you
might have before you plow into that mess.  Considering your statement that
you are finding things you though were lost forever, I will also repeat the
idea that you should back up everything on your hard drive before wiping it.
The lengthy instructions I sent include some locations that can be safely
ignored.  When posting such things in the public eye, most of my wording is
designed for the masses because some members are bound to file it away for
the day when they choose to try it themselves.  However, I will still
strongly suggest that you look through every subfolder of these areas to
make sure nothing you wish to keep was inadvertently saved there at some
point.

    I highly anticipate that your expressed WinDirStat joy is but the
beginning of the pure fun you're about to have reinventing your system (I am
assuming that, like me, you enjoy tinkering with things - the most basic
definition of a true 'hacker').  I have a lot of tricks I've learned over
the years to share with you (in their proper time) that will really
transform how easily WindowsXP bends to your will.

    On a side note, I almost envy the amount of fresh ideas you are
currently absorbing.     :O)

Peace,
GMan

"Nothing is inherently and invincibly young except spirit.  And spirit can
enter a human being perhaps better in the quiet of old age and dwell there
more undisturbed than in the turmoil of adventure."
(George Santayana)