-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD ROM Drive-Update

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:12:43 -0600

Radio Shack did not have a cleaner with little brushes and the young lady
waiting on us did not seem very knowledgeable.  We went to Office Max and
found a young man who works on computers but his first suggestion was to use
compressed air.  Told him I had been there and done that and it did not
help. He found a Memorex CD/DVD OpticDisc with little brushes.  Instructions
were just insert disk and press play so I opened it in Windows Media player
and it had instructions on the disk.  Seems it was designed to clean and
then improve quality of music CD's.  Nevertheless I ran it until it said
cleaning was complete and I could press stop without doing harm.  I ran it
only once and then started putting in GCF cd's and managed to get through
disk 5 and on disk 6 I got the error message.  Really disappointing as I was
beginning to think I was home free.
I ran the cleaner a couple more times and tried again.  This time it errored
on the first disk and has done so ever since even after multiple cleanings.
I have arranged with a friend to pick these disks up after Church Sunday and
take them to her home and try to install them.  She has XP and has the
space.  I am wondering though if I am wasting her time?  It sure looks like
to me the problem is with my optical drive but I don't know what else to do
to try to fix it.
I am about to throw in the towel and call my local tech and request a new
drive (both CD and DVD).
Sandi