-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Backup and latest Ghost (12.0)

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:17:24 +1300

GMan!

I now have only 4% spare space on my C drive so am gathering Life raft
and Emergency rations around me in preparation for a COMPLETE RESTORE.

For ease of reference I have allocated Letters A - D to YOUR reply below.

A.. 1. I have never done a dual boot, but will now.
     I have 60G laptop hard drive partitioned into
       C = 33G (including Win XP Prof)  Primary
       Extended = 5G     Primary
       E = 3G Logical
       F = 2.5G  Logical
          However I see (from Partition Magic) that logical partitions
may only exist within an extended partition and should only
    contain data and Operating  Systems ( so maybe I have another problem??)

    and 250G Seagate External partitioned into
       G = 77G Primary
       H = 87G Primary
       J = 31G Primary (surprsingly this partition is also titled (on
Partition Magic) "SA122560......" the same number as my C drive,
    but I can't boot from it
       I = 44G Primary  ..........all Gs are approx

    2. So first I need to decide HOW to repartition the 60G laptop AFTER
I have backed up and BEFORE I boot C with Win XP; also          on which
External partition to boot the dual (and should it be a "clean"
partition containing ONLY the XP).

       Please help with your best recommendation

    3. I propose to Backup absolutely everything I can, and to the
External partition with the largest UNUSED space

B.  I note your comment regarding SOME Recovery disks wiping out
everything INCLUDING the Partitions, so I shall see how            MY
recovery disk behaves when I repartition the laptop drive AFTER
disconnecting the External.  If the disk THEN wipes         those
partitions, I may decide NOT to put a dual boot on the External (or,
FIRST backup everything on the External to a third         external)

C. 1.  I have been experimenting with a complete backup of C  (highlight
C, Copy to Folder, choose H, Copy) and struck the             problem
you mentioned of SOME files halting the process because they are in use
    e.g. "cannot copy user.dat  it is in use by another person or
program. Close any program that might be using the file and try
    again"
    2. Since I am the only person using the computer, I go searching for
a program that might be the holdup, but without success.  I also got
"cannot copy hiberfil .........".  I thought this might be something to
do with "hibernating" so I disabled hibernate and tried again .... no
success, and a search for hiberfil said it didn't exist!  I typed in
"rhubarb"; it relieved some of my frustration.
    3. I have followed the process of going to that file's folder and
continuing the process from the following file.
    4. I have then tried to copy JUST THAT recalcitrant file by sneaking
down in the middle of the night and trying to succeed before     the
computer is properly awake (it didn't work)

D. Does this part of your reply mean that if I DO try and copy the
individual files you have set out in your Zip, then I shan't get any
halts from files that claim they are in use??

I look forward in hope to your wise advice.

Roger W.