[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:12:32 -0800

Carol wrote:

Like teachers and their students in public schools, doctors treating Medicare/Medicaid patients do not know people's legal status, unless that person tells them directly. (In California and Texas, I know, it's actually illegal for teachers to ask where students come from, no matter how innocent the query. So much for that moment of educational enrichment.)

I'm not sure how this gets us any farther forward. Of course doctors don't ask; but when it comes to billing (a task reserved for the lower orders) a clinic or hospital or private physician's office could not bill Medicare for treating someone not covered by it.

Robert Paul
Reed College