[lit-ideas] Immigration

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:50:43 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2006 2:18:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,
eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It
is bad to stay there, and illegals mostly stay at
the  bottom.

Hi,
I think that is one of the issues of what bothers me about this situation.
The companies and individuals taking advantage of illegal immigrants  is simply
horrible.

Granted, as Andreas stated, most companies are *not* about taking care of
their employees though, thankfully, there are a few exceptions. (I like the
David Batstone articles which highlight the ones who are a bit different--the
Trader Joes, etc. who pay even the sackers a living wage...and which highlight
how doing the caretaking aspect of running a company can also be
profitable...esp in the longterm as it not only builds a skilled and loyal
workforce but
also a loyal customer base...)

What interests me, alot, too is the loyalty that many nationals from other
countries feel towards their own ... those in India may not have put up the
money to create the skilled workforce, but they surely had to support the
government which was doing so...and then began to use it.

In the USA, most companies, even if there is a pool of unemployed people
would do anything, even pay more money to set up going overseas, then finding
skilled workers in an area of the USA which would have workers willing to work
for what is being paid in India.

(and there are many in cities who are trying desperately to find a job--any
job--even a dishwashing job but those are given to illegal immigrants who are
paid even less than minimum wage...and try pretending you are an illegal
immigrant if you don't look like one...)

And, certainly the idea of encouraging our government to retrain its  workers
is simply not heard of by those who could make a difference.

It's a bit, sometimes I think, the 'sexy' thing to be doing--having a
portion of your company outsourced or hiring workers overseas is a 'sign' that
you
are growing...or successful.

Like so much, that world is its own subculture.

 It's interesting to know who reads what in some of those  worlds...most
would not have even investigated or even thought about  investing in the
infrastructure of the USA--or figuring out where workers might  be in the USA
who are
able/willing to work for what is being paid to a worker in  India?  For, even
if it were cost-effective to do so [and I overheard a  conversation of such at
one of my son's taekwondo practices, actually], the  loyalty or nationalism is
not there. But, it IS within and amongst those from  other countries--they
support and supported their government towards training  their workforce...

But, that is an interesting question, here--what happens when the illegal
immigrants are legal and CAN move up out of the jobs which they have no hope
now
 to get out of--because of the threat of being turned in, etc.?

Who will then do those jobs since we are told that "Americans" don't  want
them--when the illegal immigrants become legal and become  "Americans"?

I suspect that we'll still have some sort of slave labor that will
exist...people are people, after all--not all have evolved...

Best,
Marlena