[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:15:00 -0800

The "Americans won't do these jobs" argument is just a con job.

About a mile away, there's a major intersection and a mall. Lots of traffic. Starting at 6am or so, Mexican day workers come and stand at the intersection. The building contractors, etc., know the location and they come in pickup trucks to get workers for the day. City residents also know, and they come to find workers who will clean lawns, paint houses, cut brush, and so on. They usually get a burger or a sandwich for lunch.

Every day of the week, there are Mexicans there. Rain or shine, warm or cold.

These jobs pay $12/hr. That's the going rate. They work 6-10 hr days and generally, six days a week. No benefits, but also no taxes. $400-700 per week, maybe $2,000 per month.

Nearby is East Palo Alto, which is a separate city from Palo Alto. It's 30-40% black and has high unemployment. There's the bus system. It's a short bicycle ride.

Why don't the Blacks come and stand there to get jobs? I've talked many times with Mexicans, and often, they ask me this: why don't the Blacks work?

I don't understand this. I don't know why the Blacks and whomever else is unemployed won't come and stand at the intersection. It's good work and it's fairly good money.

There is no barrier whatsoever to those day jobs.

But it is true: "Americans won't do these jobs."

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com