[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:53:08 +0100 (BST)

--- Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> Wonder how many of them have kids who are in the
> system -- using the taxes
> of Others -- for things like free-reduced lunches,
> free-reduced childcare,  etc.

No idea.  Here, we do know.  The UK is pledged to take
care of children so both the children of illegal
immigrants and their parents are provided with
benefits .  (You want their children to starve or die
of lack of medical care?)

> In Kansas, if you are an illegal immigrant, you can
> attend college there  and
> not pay out of state tuition.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas signed a new bill
into law on Thursday that will, effective July 1, make
undocumented immigrants eligible for in-state tuition
at colleges and state universities. ****To qualify for
this program, undocumented immigrants must have
attended a high school in Kansas for at least three
years, graduated or earned a general education
development certificate, and file an affidavit seeking
legal immigration status with the institution they
attend.****
<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

 I live right across
> the border--if my son
> decides to attend a decent vet school or
> architectural school and keep the costs
> down by commuting--he'd have to pay out-of-state
> tuition.

but presumably he can study in your state without
paying out of state fees?

> Too bad we cannot pretend that he's an illegal
> immigrant. (Children of  legal
> immigrants are in the same situation as my son

unless they live in Kansas and fulfil the conditions
stated above

> The fairness piece in  my would have an easier time
> of them not paying  taxes
> if they were not being picked up on highways which
> are being paid for by
> taxes...

they can't pay taxes.

and if they absolutely were not using ANY
> social or human services for
> their kids, etc.  But, they are.

I hope so

> And, no--I bet that the only reason it is 'the going
> rate' is because those
> companies are hiring off the books--and socking away
> the profits for
> themselves--not caretaking their employees.

right

> Too bad the union world in California is not
> living--but maybe the illegal
> immigrants would be the 'scabs' anyway, right?

the US unions have been pretty poor at supporting
illegal migrant workers, yes

 Not
> caring for anyone but
> themselves?  Taking taking taking--using our roads,
> using the water system  (paid
> for by taxes in CA like here, right?), etc etc.
> The fairness piece in me screams at this nasty
> attitude--do they laugh  while
> they drink the water, I wonder?  Scorning those of
> us who pay our  taxes,
> believe in paying for schools for their kids, and
> giving to the charities  and
> helping as volunteers to the government services
> which are assisting them in
> finding semi-decent conditions?

Look. They can't pay taxes.  Because they're illegal.
      US immigration policy cherry-picks
skilled/professional workers.  I'd say the nasty
attitude is the one that objects to these people's
children receiving *food* and *housing* and medical
care and education.

Judy Evans, Cardiff