[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:52:12 +0100

JE>they can't pay taxes

Marlene>HI,
>Why not?

I assumed it was the same in the US as it is here: that if you pay
taxes on income the Government knows you have an income
(on which you're paying the taxes...) so it would catch on to the fact that
you're
an illegal immigrant.  There are things the tax people can't pass on to other
branches
of government, admittedly.

Marlene>If the company were like the Labor Ready company here,
>they would be paying taxes at the end of the year because it would
>be documented that they had earned what they did.

My point precisely.  But I assumed that the workers of whom you spoke were
also not properly declared by the company employing them.

Marlena>According to Andreas, they are making quite a lot of money...but not
paying taxes on it.

a fair number of people here do that -- or don't pay nearly as much as they
should --
they are or ask to be paid in cash.  They aren't, normally, illegal immigrants.
 The US has no such people?  (that's sarcasm)

"Quite a lot of money": you quoted $12 an hour.

My thanks to Robert for taking up the Medicare/Medicaid point.  It didn't make
sense
to me, either.

I see more than 500,000 people marched in LA yesterday against the proposed
crackdown on illegal immigration

> Wearing white as a sign of peace, and waving flags from the
>U.S., Mexico, Guatemala and other countries, they came to
>show that illegal immigrants already are part of the American
>fabric, and want the chance to be legal, law-abiding citizens.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/03/25/immigration.rallies.ap/index.html

you'd think they'd want to go on being illegal given all the great deals you
say they get.

Judy Evans, Cardiff