[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:22:59 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2006 4:16:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Why  don't the Blacks come and stand there to get jobs? I've talked many
times with  Mexicans,
and often, they ask me this: why don't the Blacks  work?

Hi,
It's because they will NOT get picked up.  Go get a friend who is  African
American and see if he will be.

(My son's dad, when looking for work in Houston, was told that the ONLY way
he could get picked up by those trucks was if he pretended to be Hispanic and
not able to speak English)

He likes to hang out with lots of different races--the African American
world is really being hit hard by this issue--for esp in Houston, they are
really
discriminated against even more than before--the Hispanic racist attitude
towards Blacks is really horrific.  He didn't believe it--took one of the
homeless Black men that he met to one of those truck stops and the man was told
 he
was not going to go.

Try it in your area. Bet it happens there, too.

In the smaller towns which Andreas states are racist--tend to have
LaborReady, etc. as the day-labor companies which hire jobs for the day.   THEY
will
hire *anyone*--though you have to be here legally since they are  law-abiding
and though you will get paid in cash for the day, they will report  it and you
will get a form at the end of the year...of which you will be  expected to pay
taxes.

THAT is not happening in the truck picking up scenarios.  THOSE  companies
are operating illegally--and also (according to some of the  construction types
that I know) also paying less than what they would be paying  if they were
operating legally.

Thus, even though they may think they are getting paid gobs of money, they
are actually getting ripped off...

But, get one of your African American friends to go stand on one of those
corners and see what happens...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri