[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:52:42 -0800

Marlena wrote:

In Kansas, if you are an illegal immigrant, you can attend college there and not pay out of state tuition. I live right across the border--if my son decides to attend a decent vet school or architectural school and keep the costs down by commuting--he'd have to pay out-of-state tuition. Too bad we cannot pretend that he's an illegal immigrant. (Children of legal immigrants are in the same situation as my son--in my area, most of them are not happy with the issue of illegal immigrants. Many of them spent a lot of time and effort getting here legally--and are law-abiding citizens)

This is highly misleading, Marlena. Illegal immigrants in Kansas are allowed to pay the in-state tuition rate only if they have attended a Kansas high school for at least three years and graduated, or who have earned a GED certificate in Kansas. 'To receive lower tuition, an immigrant would have to be actively seeking legal immigration status or plan to do so when eligible.' Many of those who apply to a public college or university in Kansas, have lived in Kansas for years. Your son would not seem to fit this description. The tuition break isn't available to those who are 'just passing through.'

Robert Paul
Reed College