[lit-ideas] Re: Kamikaze versus 9/11 Terrorists

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:14:41 -0500

Robert: Clearly the Japanese, had they had an effective air force within range of American cities would have had no reservations about targeting civilians while their own cities were being destroyed.

Eric: Makes sense, as I'm sure the second post from Nin (the Indonesian friend) clarifies. And civilian casualties may predate battles between Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon.

Comparing the 9/11 hijackers to Kamikazes seemed very insulting to Kamikazes, so I fielded the question out, and received two answers tonight. One agrees, the other disagrees, with some qualification. Thought I'd pass them on for general interest.

To muddy the water a bit:

(1) recall the behavior of Atta and his murderous sidekicks boozing it up in a Florida lap-dance palace--hardly shall we say Kamikaze quality living, and,

(2) recall the assumption (based on available evidence) that only two hijackers on each jet knew the mission was a suicidal one, that the others were "muscle" for "crowd control" who were kept in the dark because they couldn't be trusted to commit to the death mission--again, hardly the Bushido way...