[lit-ideas] Re: Kamikaze versus 9/11 Terrorists

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:03:24 -0500

This is shame in a different context from the way I think it's used in
contemporary psychology.  The sentence, "Why fight and die if one would not
be honored
> for it?" echoes Madeline Albright's, why have a military if you don't use
it?  Maybe we need to rethink and do away with "honor".  Likewise, the
sentence, "The warrior fights for the sake of honor and remembrance, not >
because his cause is "right" in any abstract moral sense."  makes it clear
that we definitely need to get rid of honor.  The world would be a much
nicer place without it.

> [By David Hoffman, who seems to accept the shame/guilt division more or
> less without question.]

Well, he's wrong.  There is a distinct difference between the two.