[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:04:28 -0800

Eric wrote:
> This was info from a phone call, not a post, and I may have the Medicare

part wrong, but I have been assured that many illegals get Social Security numbers (illegally). They also receive federal payments for their hospital costs. There is some sort of bureaucratic finesse going on between the social welfare agencies and the hospitals, and I have been told that payment to the hospitals takes a long time but eventually comes through.

Thanks, Eric. Undoubtedly various state governments and the Federal government pay the medical costs of illegal immigrants, although state rules vary hugely, I'm sure. This is no secret. Still, no hospital can bill Medicare (which is entirely different from Medicaid) for a patient's care, unless the patient is covered by Medicare. That people, including some illegal immigrants, obtain Social Security numbers fraudulently does not speak to this, any more than the fact that many people have fake driver's licenses contradicts the fact that one must have a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle.

Cheers,

Robert

robert.paul@xxxxxxxx