[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:03:15 +0200

On 2006-07-25 at 10:59:33 [+0200], Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Plone is still disgustingly slow but it is feature complete. One thing to
> > consider with Plone/Zope/ZODB stuff is in case you store large files for
> > which the ZODB is simply not designed (yes, they end up in memory as do
> > all
> > BLOBS in all DBMS). There is a solution for this if required.
>
> We'll probably have a a video on the website, but I don't want to host
> the actual CD/HD images on our server (this can be done by BerliOS and
> SourceForge and other mirrors). Well, maybe we'll have to host the
> original image which must be updated by the mirrors... How can we do
> this? Isn't there some folder (on the file system) that allows for
> hosting static content? I know that you can store skins that way.

There are various ways of doing this "File Storage", etc. but they are not
suitable for large files. At Europython there was a demonstration of
Tramline which uses mod_python to synchronise between apache and Zope: ie.
Zope assigns an id to the objects but all the serving is done by Apache. The
ZODB is more than capable of storing skins, images, etc. for most websites.

> > > Michael, could you please install Plone on our server? I will then
> > > start doing a few minor customizations and write the new website's
> > > content. Later, I will add single-sign-on for Trac (there already is
> > > some Trac plugin for this).
> >
> > I have experience with XUF which does this.
>
> Could you please help me? I thought about a hacky solution where I
> create a Plone Python script that uses acl_users.authenticate() or
> something like that to verify the supplied username and password and
> returns whether it is correct. I'd modify DbAuth, so Trac
> authenticates via that URL.

Andrew Milton has already written something for XUF. I don't think you can
do the necessary work in a PythonScript due to security restrictions. XUF is
pretty powerful and suitable for single sign ons and I've worked with it so
I'm happy to help.

> Also, Plone 3.0 will have a new nice interface. I'm okay with the
> current interface. I'd just like to have have nice mode for switching
> between "edit" and "view" mode. There is one on the Plone website, but
> I don't really like maintaining customizations, so I hope Plone 3 will
> have it integrated...

> Yes, phpBB would be okay, but if we can convert the existing posts to
> a Plone-based forum (so everything is integrated) it would be even
> cooler. Do you know if that is possible?

mm, phpBB is a PIA but there are very few forum products for Zope (squishdot
is one I think) because Zope users generally use mailing lists. I would be
tempted to work on converting the data just because I hate phpBB so much!

> We'll also have to convert the build factory's website into a Plone
> package...

As I'm not familiar with what the build factory does I'll just have to nod
at this. I assume you mean create a Zope product for it. This is fairly
straightforward: you wrap some declarations around standard Python code.

Charlie