[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:59:33 +0200

On 7/24/06, Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Plone is still disgustingly slow but it is feature complete. One thing to
consider with Plone/Zope/ZODB stuff is in case you store large files for
which the ZODB is simply not designed (yes, they end up in memory as do all
BLOBS in all DBMS). There is a solution for this if required.

We'll probably have a a video on the website, but I don't want to host the actual CD/HD images on our server (this can be done by BerliOS and SourceForge and other mirrors). Well, maybe we'll have to host the original image which must be updated by the mirrors... How can we do this? Isn't there some folder (on the file system) that allows for hosting static content? I know that you can store skins that way.

> Michael, could you please install Plone on our server? I will then
> start doing a few minor customizations and write the new website's
> content. Later, I will add single-sign-on for Trac (there already is
> some Trac plugin for this).

I have experience with XUF which does this.

Could you please help me? I thought about a hacky solution where I create a Plone Python script that uses acl_users.authenticate() or something like that to verify the supplied username and password and returns whether it is correct. I'd modify DbAuth, so Trac authenticates via that URL.

> If someone would like to write a nice skin for us, please shout.
> Otherwise, we'll probably stay with the default skin.

I would stick with the default skin, initially. It is probably the best
thing about Plone that is not Zope. Alexander Limi really understands
interface design.

Also, Plone 3.0 will have a new nice interface. I'm okay with the current interface. I'd just like to have have nice mode for switching between "edit" and "view" mode. There is one on the Plone website, but I don't really like maintaining customizations, so I hope Plone 3 will have it integrated...

> I don't want to wait, anymore. Michael, I'll take the responsibility
> for the whole website (Trac and Plone), so you don't have to bother
> about Plone being a monster.

Do you still want a forum?

Yes, phpBB would be okay, but if we can convert the existing posts to a Plone-based forum (so everything is integrated) it would be even cooler. Do you know if that is possible?

We'll also have to convert the build factory's website into a Plone package...

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald