[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:59:41 +0200

On 7/30/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What were the results of the c't article? Which were the two best
> hosts (price, features)?

AFAIK, we already have our own hosting for the website - and that
should cost money, too. So if we're unable to put it there, I think we
could either ask our current provider to let us install Plone, or we
can look for alternatives.

Yes, but site5 is a shared host. We can of course ask them, but they won't do it for free unless they want to support Haiku. What we need for Plone is a VPS or even a dedicated server with 256MB RAM to do anything serious. That won't be cheap and I don't know who will pay this. If we have enough donations or if we (the Haiku board) want to pay the required amount of money we can of course do this. But shouldn't we better use that money for bounties and other expenses (WalterCon, marketing, etc.)? Strato seems to have powerful servers for $50 / month. I don't know how much you should pay to get a reliable service. Alternatively, we can stick with something less capable (Skeletonz?) and shared-hosting (WebFaction?) which allows for long-running processes.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald