[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:10:14 +0200

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:59:41 +0200, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, but site5 is a shared host. We can of course ask them, but they
won't do it for free unless they want to support Haiku. What we need
for Plone is a VPS or even a dedicated server with 256MB RAM to do
anything serious. That won't be cheap and I don't know who will pay
this. If we have enough donations or if we (the Haiku board) want to
pay the required amount of money we can of course do this. But
shouldn't we better use that money for bounties and other expenses
(WalterCon, marketing, etc.)? Strato seems to have powerful servers
for $50 / month. I don't know how much you should pay to get a
reliable service.

You can get 256 MB guaranteed for €10 / month. Zope & PostgreSQL run fine on 256 MB on Windows 2000 on my Pentium-III 833 MHz notebook. But to be honest I would suggest something a little beefier. Do we have some information on typical page requests per day and what the peaks are? Database connection pooling can work wonders on performance.

Alternatively, we can stick with something less capable (Skeletonz?)
and shared-hosting (WebFaction?) which allows for long-running
processes.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your logic. If you want a powerful and customisable CMS & bug tracker (and this has been the tenor of your arguments so far) then you have to bite the bullet. I have said all along that I consider Zope to be the only viable Open Source solution and you seem to have reached the same conclusion based on your own research/experience. It might also be considered a bonus that I have Zope & PostgreSQL experience but this may well be moot as others are probably able to help out with other systems. What does not make sense is, having clearly defined the functional requirements and finding something that more or less meets them that you can administer, trying to scale back because of budget. It doesn't work for business and it won't work for Haiku. If a new server environment is not possible then it is best to stick with the existing system.

Charlie