[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:09:34 +0200

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:59:34 +0200, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, PAS separates them, too. They are two distinct interfaces, but
your auth plugin can implement them both, of course (as does
SQLPASPlugin).

I will check out the specs of PAS. XUF might already interface to it - it is by far the most common plugin user source for Zope.

Anyway, we have a problem with our host. We must either
switch to a VPS or dedicated server or use some other CMS. If we don't
want to pay lots of $$$ for a nice server we will have to forget
Plone...

This came up at the very beginning of the discussion and I think that the need for root access was considered a reasonable argument for changing hosts. If we are trying to "do the right thing" with the OS we should be prepared to do it with the support systems.

 Well, SQLite is easier to install, but PostgreSQL is better suited for
huge DBs and high workload. OTOH, for Trac SQLite might even be
sufficient. Why do you think PostgreSQL would be better? I'd prefer
the simpler solution, if possible. Also, our current Trac DB is
SQLite.
But why does that matter, at all? Zope has DAs or we could use
SQLAlchemy.
 PostgreSQL is better suited to maintain data integrity both within the
database and of the database itself. IMO SQLite might be suitable as
storage for a single user application or in situations where in-memory is
okay. But for little more than that.
 Since we have shared hosting we can't install PostgreSQL, anyway.
We'll have to stick with MySQL.

I hate MySQL: No transactions and no relational integrity plus weird SQL idionsyncracies. At least SQLite has transactions.

FWIW worth for development I have a root server with Trac + dbAuth already installed. It would probably be suitable for production purposes but as I cannot guarantee availability I would not suggest using it for this. I did give Mikael an account and root access but he preferred to use his own machine.

Charlie