[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:59:34 +0200

On 7/30/06, Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> XUF predates PAS, so the answer is no.
>  I think that we should better stick with the standard: PAS
> Could you please help with writing a nice PAS plugin? Please take a
> look at SQLPASPlugin. It needs support for deleting users, changing
> passwords, and setting arbitrary properties.

Authentication and authorisation have nothing to do with properties which
is why they should be separate as in the case with XUF. I suspect it is
less work to ensure that XUF works with PAS then anything else and this is
what I propose to do although the PAS compatability is largely irrelevant.

Well, PAS separates them, too. They are two distinct interfaces, but your auth plugin can implement them both, of course (as does SQLPASPlugin). Anyway, we have a problem with our host. We must either switch to a VPS or dedicated server or use some other CMS. If we don't want to pay lots of $$$ for a nice server we will have to forget Plone...

>  Well, SQLite is easier to install, but PostgreSQL is better suited for
> huge DBs and high workload. OTOH, for Trac SQLite might even be
> sufficient. Why do you think PostgreSQL would be better? I'd prefer
> the simpler solution, if possible. Also, our current Trac DB is
> SQLite.
> But why does that matter, at all? Zope has DAs or we could use
> SQLAlchemy.

PostgreSQL is better suited to maintain data integrity both within the
database and of the database itself. IMO SQLite might be suitable as
storage for a single user application or in situations where in-memory is
okay. But for little more than that.

Since we have shared hosting we can't install PostgreSQL, anyway. We'll have to stick with MySQL.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald