[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:38:14 +0200

On 7/30/06, Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, we have a problem with our host. We must either
> switch to a VPS or dedicated server or use some other CMS. If we don't
> want to pay lots of $$$ for a nice server we will have to forget
> Plone...

This came up at the very beginning of the discussion and I think that the
need for root access was considered a reasonable argument for changing
hosts. If we are trying to "do the right thing" with the OS we should be
prepared to do it with the support systems.

Yeah, of course. But a server will cost >$30 (Plone+Zope burn resources...) which is many times more than we pay ATM and I don't like the idea of burning money on a server (at least not in our current situation). Rather, I'd use Skeletonz (if that works) and help with WYSIWYG and other stuff. That would also give us a much simpler code base than Zope+Plone.

FWIW worth for development I have a root server with Trac + dbAuth already
installed. It would probably be suitable for production purposes but as I
cannot guarantee availability I would not suggest using it for this. I did
give Mikael an account and root access but he preferred to use his own
machine.

Hmm, thanks for the offer. It's worth considering, but as you said you can't guarantee availability.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald