[haiku-web] Re: Plone

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:57:53 +0200

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:39:25 +0200, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

XUF predates PAS, so the answer is no.
 I think that we should better stick with the standard: PAS
Could you please help with writing a nice PAS plugin? Please take a
look at SQLPASPlugin. It needs support for deleting users, changing
passwords, and setting arbitrary properties.

Authentication and authorisation have nothing to do with properties which is why they should be separate as in the case with XUF. I suspect it is less work to ensure that XUF works with PAS then anything else and this is what I propose to do although the PAS compatability is largely irrelevant.

 Okay, but we'd still need a nice SQL backend which can be interfaced
from within Trac. I could do the Trac part, so you actually don't need
to setup Trac. All I want is Plone to store its user and properties
data into an SQL DB, so I can modify DbAuth to pull its data from that
DB.
 I need a list of the properties to be stored for the schema. Are you
intending to use SQLite for Trac or can we use PostgreSQL?

Well, SQLite is easier to install, but PostgreSQL is better suited for
huge DBs and high workload. OTOH, for Trac SQLite might even be
sufficient. Why do you think PostgreSQL would be better? I'd prefer
the simpler solution, if possible. Also, our current Trac DB is
SQLite.
But why does that matter, at all? Zope has DAs or we could use SQLAlchemy.

PostgreSQL is better suited to maintain data integrity both within the database and of the database itself. IMO SQLite might be suitable as storage for a single user application or in situations where in-memory is okay. But for little more than that.

There is a Zope DA for SQLite but it is still in development. OTOH I have been using Zope + PostgreSQL for years and there is PostgreSQL backend for Trac.

Charlie