[vip_committees] Fwd: Monday Morning Update

  • From: Blaine Clark <thelight9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:52:42 -0400

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Monday Morning Update
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:44:54 -0400
From: DuBois Chamber of Commerce <dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cid:image001.gif@01CA5B91.E577F530

The Clearfield-Jefferson MH/MR Program is the Update Sponsor  for June – their mission is to assure access to a comprehensive array of quality services that are reflective of the needs of the residents of the two county area.  The services are effectively managed and responsive to a changing community.

SATE0F1

This Week:

Chamber / JC Golf Tournament took place last Friday: special thanks to the Treasure Lake Silver Course and Lakeview Lodge staff and management.  First Flight, 1st place winners were Carl Lias, Dave Hopkins, Von Berger and Gary Gruda;  Second flight, 1st place winners were Ron Bartolotta, Scott Frano, Tim Fezell and Doug Fezell; Third flight, 1st place winners were Dan Baronick, Dan Dennison, Shannon Shimmel and Kristain Krecota.  Other flight winners and photos available next newsletter.  Thanks to all golfers, volunteers, sponsors of food, beverage and prize donations and Chamber staff.  We, as always, wish to offe r special acknowledgment to Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken – wouldn’t be the same without you!

The Annual Spring into Summer Sale will take place on the Gazebo at the Inn at Narrows Creek from June 1 – 4, 10am-5pm.  Stop by and take a peek!

The 6th Annual First Bash of Summer Carnival sponsored by the American Red Cross, Heartland Chapter, will be in the DuBois City Memorial Park June 1-June 4. The Carnival is open Wednesday through Friday 6 pm to 10 pm and Sat 3 pm.

ReMax Select Group is hosting the 5th Annual “Miracle” Golf Outing on Friday, June 3, 2011 at the DuBois Country Club, benefitting the Children’s Miracle Network.  $70 Entry Fee includes lunch, greens fee & cart, dinner, beverages and prizes.  Call Gabrielle @ 814.375.1102 to sign up or for information on becoming a tournament sponso r.  CALL TODAY and show your support for this great cause!

Won by One to Jamaica Golf Tournament scheduled for Friday, June 3rd at the Treasure Lake Gold Course.  Contact Dan Smith at Tri County Church for details, 371-0727.

The DuBois Area Council on the Arts (DACOTA) will present the fourteenth season of its summer poetry series, Poetry in the Park, at the DuBois City Park in the large pavilion near the YMCA.  Each session will be on a Friday and will last from noon-1 p.m.  The dates for the readings are June 3, July 8 , and August 12.  This event features readings by area poets of all ages, some of whom have published their poetry.  The public is invited to read poetry or just bring lunch and enjoy the readings.  There is no charge and the event which will be held rain or shine.

Children’s Fishing Rodeo- Sunday, June 5, 1:00pm-3:00pm in Cook Forest State Park.   Children 12 years and under are permitted to fish freshly stocked Tom’s Run from the Swinging Bridge to the Children’s Fishing Pond. Registration and prize give-away will be held at the Children's Fishing Pond behind the Park Office. This event is sponsored by the Marienville Rod & Gun Club, PA Fish & Boat Co mmission, Cook Forest Vacation Bureau, and Cook Forest State Park. All prizes donated by area merchants.

The Chamber is asking for nominations for our Silver Ribbon Award, which will be presented on Thursday, July 7th. The nominees are people who have attained a proud level of professionalism.  He or she must actively mentor others in professionalism and leadership; must demonstrate excellence and initiative in own business or profession; and provide valuable community service with time and energy in improving the quality of life for others.  I’ll bet you know of someone you may wish to nominate. Give us a call at 371-5010 or email us at dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

RED, WHITE AND BLUE - Let’s all dress up / decorate our businesses to celebrate our Country, our Community, Memorial Day, Community Days, Flag Day, July Fourth and just how truly fortunate we all are!

Sam’s Club an d the DuBois Chamber have another offer for Chamber Members and all their employees.  You will receive up to a $25 Sam’s Club Gift Card when you sign up for or upgrade to a new Sam’s Club Plus membership or renew an existing Plus Membership by July 31, 2011.  You will receive a $10 Gift Card is signing up for or renewing your Advantage Membership.  To receive this offer, you MUST have the official certificate of information from Sam’s.  Email us at dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  and we’ll forward the information.

Newly Added Today:

“A Passion for Service”- half-day workshop presented by nationally known presenter Bill Drury on Wednesday, June 22nd at the DuBois Country Club.  How to Win Customers and Reduce Lost Sales is the focus of this presentation.  Email us and we’ll send you more information – dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (also, watch the mail for a special brochure about this event).  Call with your questions…371-5010.  There’s not a lot of time, so register NOW!

This week we welcome Gayle Bowman from Village Profile, the producer of our beautiful, full-color street map and brochure for the entire Chamber area.  Gayle will begin to sell advertising in our new map so we may continue to provide the best and the latest information and directions to area visitors and residents.  There are many opportunities combined with advertising including interactive ads to your website from our website.  If you’d like to speak with Gayle about promoting your business, call the Chamber at 371-5010 or email us at dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and we’ll give her the message.  This is a 3 year project, so certainly worth your consideration.

St. Catherine of Siena Church, 118 S. State St., DuBois is hosting a take-out only Chicken or Rib BBQ from noon to 2 p.m., Father’s Day, Sunday, June 19.  Tickets for dinners are only being sold in advance. None will be sold “at the door.”   Cost is $8 for choice of chicken or ribs  plus sides. Call the church office 371-8556 or stop by for tickets.

This year the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life theme is Rockin Relay will be held Saturday, July 16th - 10:00a.m. through July 17th -10:00a.m. at the DuBois City Park.  A new feature to this year’s Relay For Life is called “Paint our Towns Purple” - the weeks of July 1st through July 17th. This is to bring public awareness to the upcoming Relay For Life.  We will hang street banners and bows throughout the towns. Along with sharing the many scheduled events to be held at the Relay For Life, and to continue in making this a successful event, we will need the support of our businesses and community members.

We would very much appreciate if you would show your support by decorating your business door/window front during this time in purple.  Be creative or simple with your decorating. There will be a contest for the merchants that decorate who would like to be judged. If you would like to join the contest contact our local American Cancer Society office at 765-1315.  ; We also have balloons, ribbon and posters to use in your decorating.  Also if your employees would like to show their individual support by wearing purple on Friday July 8th and Friday July 15th.

This is a wonderful way for our community to support the Relay For Life.  The Relay For Life is an event where participants enjoy the camaraderie of a team and also raise funds to help eliminate cancer.  Participants camp out at the Relay site, and when they are not taking their turn walking, they can take part in fun activities and enjoy local entertainment.  Even if not a walking participant, people can enjoy the events of the Relay For Life.  The event helps our communities celebrate those who have faced cancer, remember loved ones lost and fight back against the disease.

Next Week:

A Gospel Music Benefit Concert for Gary Stormer will be held at Lakeside United Methodist Church 420 First St in DuBois on June 7th at 7 pm. The Master’s Plan Quartet will be performing. A Love Offering will be taken. Any questions please call Bruce Cornelius 371-2823.

Brockway Clea n Water Alliance will present a meeting about effects of Marsellus Shale as it relates to the water supply-St. Tobias Center in Brockway on June 7th at 7pm - Speaker is Dr. J. Stephen Cleghorn.

DuBois Area Community Days is scheduled for Friday and Saturday, June 10 & 11.  Sponsored by the DuBois Volunteer Fire Department, this great event must be added to your summer schedule!

There will be two (2) Ribbon Cuttings and Open Houses at the new location of Service Access & Management (SAM) and Clearfield/Jefferson MHMR at 375 Beaver Drive from 5-7pm on Friday, June 10th.  Stop in before going to Community Days!

Coming Soon:

DuBois Nursing Home, a part of DuBois Continuum of Care Community is hosting its 25th Annual Car Show and Outdoor Flea Market on Father’s Day, June 19th.  The show is from noon to 4pm.  Registration starts at 11am.  Glendale Train will play live between noon and 3pm.  Refreshments will be provided by DuBois Nursing Home, Wendy’s of DuBois and Frostee Delites. Please call Jodi August at 814-375-9100 for flea vendor info, car show registration form or more details.

Sunset at The Winery—Enjoy sights and sounds of summer in the picnic pavilion at Laurel Mountain.  Ten dollars buys you a logo wine glass, wine discounts and loads of fun.  Food is available while listening to live music.  We have increased the number of events to satisfy demand.  Mar k your calendar for the following 2011 dates: Friday, June 24-7 PM; Music by “Bad Hair Day”:  Saturday, July 9-7 PM; Music by “The 2 of Us”:  Friday, July 22-7 PM; Music by Tim & John Chelednik: Friday, August 5-7 PM; Music by “The 2 of Us”: Saturday, August 20-7 PM; Music by “The 2 of Us”: Saturday, Sept. 10-7 PM; Music by “Bad Hair Day”.  Come see us at Laurel Mountain Winery. Tons of fun!

AmServ LTD/DuSan Community Ambulance is proud to be able to share with the community the dedication of our building addition on Saturday June 25th at 11:30 am. Open house will take place from 10 am to 1 pm.  AmServ LTD/DuSan Community Ambulance has been serving DuBois, Sandy Township and the surrounding area for 32 years.  Our employees along with the board of directors will provide tours and activities for all ages featuring blood pressure screenings, demonstrations, educational information and refreshments. Stop by and learn more about your ambulance service, see you on June 25th.

First Step: Starting a Small Business – Workshop each month January through December 2011 designed to give you a head-start with your business.  Topics that will be covered during each session:  What to consider before starting a business; License and tax information; Regulations governing a business; Guidelines on how to finance your business; How and why to prepare a business plan; Other resources you can use to help you plan and succeed.  Sessions will be held Saturdays at DuBois Hampton Inn from 8:30–noon.  The date of the workshop is June 25.  The cost is $20 per person.  To register online www.web.clarion.edu/sbdc/training or call toll free at 877-292-1843.

The DuBois Area Council on the Arts (DACOTA) will present the fourteenth season of its summer poetry series, Poetry in the Park, at the DuBois City Park in the large pavilion near the YMCA.  Each session will be on a Friday and will last from noon-1 p.m.  The dates for the readings are July 8, and August 12.  This event features readings by area poets of all ages, some of whom have published their poetry.  The public is invited to read poetry or just bring lunch and enjoy the readings.  There is no charge and the event which will be held rain or shine.

Cornelius Promotions, Inc is presenting in concert “The Booth Brothers”. They are a trio, who are at the top of Southern Gospel Music and are going to be in DuBois on July 22, 2011 at the DuBois Area High School. The doors open at 6 pm and the concert starts at 7 pm. Tickets at the door are $20.00. Advance tickets are $15.00 and can be purchased at Stew’s Brew and Hockman Candy. For more information call Bruce at 371-2823 or e-mail amusicman1@xxxxxxxxxxx

Alzheimer’s Association Greater Pennsylvania Chapter – Walk to End Alzhei mer’s – September 17, 2010 – Memorial Park, DuBois – Become a planning committee member – help with team and sponsor recruitment, walk day logistics, and awareness activities; or - Become a sponsor – full packet is available for review; or - Form a Team by visiting http://2011walktoendalz.kintera.org/dubois; or - Walk as an Individual  http://2011walktoendalz.kintera.org/dubois; or - Host a speaker.  If you are interested in helping with any of these, please contact Robin Hecker at (814) 456-9200 or Robin.Hecker@xxxxxxx.  The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets at Mountain Laurel Nursing and Rehabilitation, 700 Leonard Street in Clearfield Pa 16830 the 2nd Thursday of each month at 3pm; Facilitator:  Deb Dodson (814) 765-7545 for more information.

If you know of someone who may wish to receive the Monday Morning Update, please have them email dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Have a great Chamber Day!

Nancy

Nancy J. Micks, President/CEO

Greater DuBois Chamber of Commerce & Economic Development

P:  814-371-5010     F:  814-371-5005

dacc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.duboispachamber.com

- To post on the mailing list, simply send email to vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to vip_committees-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at //www.freelists.org/list/vip_committees. You can also unsubscribe, turn on and off Vacation Hold and set your preference for a once-a-day digest or to receive each message as it is posted on the list page. - Online, searchable archives of the list are available at //www.freelists.org/archive/vip_committees Each list's archive is automatically updated as new messages come in. - There's a FAQ at //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq.