(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:32:05 -0700

One thing I have read over the years on OCAD is the importance of separating
yourself and your trainee from a trained dog while you are doing training
exercises.
The concept basically boiled down to the fact that the trainee won't see any
purpose in doing the task, if the trained dog keeps completing it for them.
Since I have never worked with multiple dogs this way, I don't know if it
holds true.
I do know that a good friend assisted me with retrieve with Met by using her
service dog as a *show and tell* for Met. Heidi would retrieve an item, then
she held Heidi back in a down stay while we gave Met the opportunity. It did
not take long for him to catch on after this as she did not allow Heidi to
finish the task for Met. I think they spent about an hour with us to get us
started and just to enjoy the process of watching his *uh huh* moment click
into play.
Its possible that LaVeau sees no purpose in retrieving since Mill'E will
just do it for her.
But start back at step 1 in back chaining. Find an item you are comfortable
with and that she is apt to work with and choose something tasty to put on
the item. I'd go that route myself if I was not so nervous about upsetting
Thane's gut equilibrium.
Let me know how it goes- Mill'E won't be happy of course, but...

Karyn and Thane