(VICT) House manners [was Re: retrieve]

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:21:27 -0700

How I worked it with thane was in increments. He got just the shortest free
time off tether or crate. We kept these short times and back to the tether
or gated off with me before he chose the opportunity to get into trouble.
This kept it all positive and successful off lead. The duration off lead was
only increased as he proved himself. I believe this was the key to continued
success. Of course nothing is left for him to easily scavenge either. My
garbage is up on top of the stove. I can't use the stove and its easier for
me to use the garbage this way at my height. This prevents garbage
scavenging. All food left out is covered and placed back on counters. In the
earlier stages all food was also put into cupboards/ fridge etc. to set him
up to succeed with me.
Backtracking to this stage may be difficult and I can see where it can be
ahrder with a houseful- not knowing who got into something. It was
exhausting doing this, but the payoff has been great.
You hit on another aspect and that is to keep them occupied and in the end
ready to have quiet time whether it be perfect bones, a buster cube, or
another good chew to keep them focused on something other than what they can
get into that smells good.
On days when I am really unable to physically keep up with Thane or if he
needed a bath and can't have an extra outing because he is wet, buster cube
for dinner really gets some of that energy expelled, not to mention how
hilarious it is. He still thinks this game should be played with momma
rolling it across the room occasionally too LOL
Finding the perfect outlets has been an integral part of the success for us
in apartment living- not to mention keeping my anti-dog management happy
that he isn't tearing up the place Smile

Karyn and Thane