(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:29:02 -0700

Oh my! We have carbon copies with the retrieve! Thane will even point his
nose/ nudge to exactly where he dropped the item on the floor if I say
Where? or I Can't Find it. LOL
Yup it does me a ton of good on the floor!
If Thane had not had such a sensitive tummy for so long which I am beginning
to feel was more the Merrick food than the giardia, I would try smothering
something nummy.
I have this really neat plastic avian target stick that came with Clicker
Training for Birds. I am going to try it next as its about the diameter of
one of those disposable bic pens. Its hard plastic and thus easily washable.
I just have to think carefully about any food involvement here as the last
thing I want is to spiral his gut back out of control.
If I was in your position though Rox'E, I'd probably try adding a tad of
tasty food.
As for the household manners, have you tried tethering when she is not
working specifically with you or training with you. I did that from the
start with Thane and it worked superbly. Of course I don't have a household
of multiple dogs and it was hard to do some things. I have the advantage
that I could tether to the chair but perhaps a hands free lead? I'm just
asking- it might not be something feasible.
In some situation, its possible that the only attention she really got was
bad attention. It is hard to lose that pattern of behavior if it helped you
survive. If she was found as a stray, scavenging probably kept her alive
also.

Karyn and Thane