(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: DArste2@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:56:52 EDT

Ann asked about how I taught my dog Allie to play with toys. Allie did not
and still does not play with toys unless the clicker and treats come out.
The basics for this are called 101 Things to do with a box. In a nutshell,
you want the dog to learn that anything it does with the object is clickable.
You will generate a certain excitment around the object. You can start with the
object in your hand. And, as previously suggested you can "bait" the object
with food. For horses I use "Fruit Roll-ups".

Once you have the animal consistantly interacting with the object in any way
at all. Then, you will begin to with hold your clicks for "interesting" things
that the animal can do with the object. "Interesting" is whatever you think
it is. And, later you will move to be inventive. When you get to this point,
only the first time the animal does something is clicked. The animal has to
become more and more inventive to receive clicks. And, like Allie you may find
him
throwing the object up in the air. Once he does that, you can have him take
you to it via targeting.

Warmly
Dolores
www.zenhorsemanship.com

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
calculators.