(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:52:08 -0700

Exactly Ann
This is the problem that we are dealing with. I did have to teach Thane to
play with toys instead of hoarding them in his crate but all it took was the
fun interactions that were reward for him to think this was great- so much
that he thinks Buster Cube should be played with by all too! LOL
I certainly don't want to give him the idea it is OK to chew on my things
like it is OK to chew on his so in this sense the interest has to be done in
the increments of back chaining which leaves some of us having the
difficulty of spiking the interest for the *hold* in the first place.
For Met, it was most definitely helpful to mimic the actions of other
service dogs. Thane and I do not have that option so it will take us a while
to get the concept.
Right now I am focusing more on assuring our public access abilities are
there for the rainy season. This meant working heavily on transportation
this summer which is culminating with Lift paratransit this week.
We will get back to the backchaining the retrieve once my head can be
totally into it this winter.

Karn and Thane