(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: "The Pawpower Pack" <pawpower@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:59:46 -0500

For Laveau, I think she was very strongly punished in her previous home for
touching things.  She has horrible house manners; getting into trash, taking
food from shelves in the sink etc.  She doesn't do this when working.  She
has learned, in her previous home, that getting caught is the bad thing not
that doing these behaviors are not desirable.  Because I am deafblind and
haven't quite figured out a way to deal with this situation; I am managing
her very strictly in the house for now and if that is what I have to do for
the rest of her life I can live with that and she can to.  This carries over
to retrieve because I think she associates the *don't touch* that she got
punished for in the house with anything I offer her.  She will do a play
retrieve and will fetch the object but will not bring it to hand; she will
drop on the floor; lot of good that does me huh? lol

She will touch the object but as far as I can tell she is not mouthing it.
I don't have a bunch of sighted people around who want to come watch me work
with the dog so a sighted training buddy is not an option for me.  Also with
my hearing loss it is very probable that I'll miss it when they tell me that
she's mouthing the object anyway.

I can usually tell the difference between nose and mouthing though so it's
just a matter of getting her to mouth the darned thing.  I thought about
putting a little cream cheese on the object  to encourage mouthing, but I
don't know.

These are just my thoughts for now.

Rox and the "Kitchen Bitches"
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD, and Laveau SDIT
" A teacher can only lead you to the threshold of your own mind." -- Kahlil
Gibran
pawpower@xxxxxxx
windows messenger: Brisomania@xxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: brissysgirl