(VICT) Re: Retrieve

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:36:11 -0700

Dolores,

I think I get it...  Now to figure out how to use it.  I'm still teaching
the other dog to play after unteaching her how not to play...  Sigh.
Getting her to play cooperatively with Mitzi would make my life a lot
easier.  We're working on it.  We also do mini obedience sessions throughout
the day.  I call it competition obedience because the two dogs are competing
for the treats.  We've reached the point where the dog I tell to do
something does it, so I can go back and forth.  I've added "touch my hand"
to the end of each session.  Mitzi and I use the "my hand" command for
positioning in our work, so I'm starting to advance that concept to "touch"
again as Daisy catches up with her.  I think I'll try your suggestion when
we're all ready to move to the next step.  I need to find ways to keep
Daisy, especially, occupied.  She's too unpredictable to take out of the
yard, so I need to find something to occupy her attention and energy to
replace all the frenzied running around and barking.  I'm still keeping her
very, very calm whatever we do, but she's starting to get fat.  /smile/

One thing I have noticed in our "competition obedience" sessions:  Daisy
doesn't actually like our current, healthy, training treats.  She only wants
them because Mitzi is getting them and because she associates it with the
click and the positive attention.  Huh.  I can't tell if she gets the
connection between the behaviors, the click and the treat.  Huh.  I'm
finding it very odd dealing with two dogs from such different backgrounds.
The real point of our obedience sessions is positive attention, cooperation
and refocusing Daisy's mind from whatever is agitating her at the moment.
The review doesn't hurt Mitzi any, of course, although she still has her
same attitude toward obedience outside those sessions:  "Give me a reason,
and I'll consider it."  /smile/  I think Rox has dubbed the thinking process
as the "IEC -- internal executive committee."  /lol/  Mitzi applies the
behaviors to her work appropriately; but out of harness, she very definitely
has her own mind.  A good trait in a guide dog, in my book.  Intelligent
disobedience, and all that.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney