(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:43:30 -0500

Ann, I can certainly understand your concern about ever letting guide
animals off leash in an area that isn't safe, and I share these
concerns. However, there are some benefits. Whether in an enclosed or
unfenced area, the muscles need to be exercised off leash to achieve the
sorts of benefits speed, tight turns and stopping and starting can
provide. I also feel that the value of obedience and exercise off leash
without fences accustoms the animal to being in a situation when if you
have to call them, they will be more likely to come. My cat is an indoor
outdoor cat who comes when called fairly reliably for a cat. I have even
heard cats making those fighting meows and called him away from danger.
I am in no way telling anyone to drop their precious animal's leash
where there are no fences, but by allowing my dog to experience herself
in a relationship with me without a leash compelling her to stay with
me, I personally feel better prepared for that one time when I may need
to call her and she will come instead of bolt. BTW, GDB also reads a
similar letter during training, and I do believe this is a very
appropriate message to get across during class. I know I practiced
dangerous activities with my first two guides neither of whom had
dependable recalls. My last three do stick close, and when I unhook a
leash in an open space, I remain ever vigilant and practice frequent
recalls. I don't leave my current three dogs unsupervised to play in my
fenced yard, as they can get in to trouble out there as well. A pretty
good sized hole can be dug in less than sixty seconds and the nasty
things that can go into mouths....

Sheila Styron, President
Guide Dog Users, Inc.
816-363-3172