(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:17:39 -0700

Sandy,

As I write this, I am sure you have had other input; however, I will tell
you that my guides have always been just as anyone's dog at home. Now, we
are blessed with a reasonable size patio area with what was intended to be a
planting area at the fence line. I have had gravel placed there for Primrose
to use as a run.

When we visit my mother's home, she has a larger yard, and Primrose can be
turned loose to run for a bit, but usually does that for a while and then
comes back to be with me. I would, however, never allow my dog off leash in
a place I didn't know well where I couldn't assure her safety, and as
recommended, I would never allow a valuable and highly skilled and trained
guide dog to run loose in the country or neighborhood where the dog could be
hurt or injured.

As you know many people think they know it all even about our guide dogs
when they really know nothing, and we must sift through the "advice" we are
given to make our decisions.

Dianne and Primrose