(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:05:43 -0400

Hi, Sheila,

While you certainly don't need my blessing, I don't see anything wrong with
what you are doing with respect to off-leash work.  In fact, I think we are
pretty much on the same wavelength.  I think it is important to let Panda
run and really exercise those muscles, and she has plenty of room to do that
in the riding arena or in a fenced yard with me in attendance.  And I do
practice off-leash heeling and recalls in these areas as well.  In fact, all
of my horses have learned to come to me from wherever they are in the arena
or field when I present the cue of my raised hand and the word "Touch".

And, as you have said, it is important to know your dog and to accurately
judge his/her reliability off leash.  My little Japanese mixed-breed pet dog
Chiko was absolutely trustworthy off leash.  She was my beloved "first
daughter" and my shadow for 13 and a half years.  She competed in obedience
fun matches, off-leash, of course, within the nominally-fenced obedience
ring.  Still, I usually kept her on leash when we went for walks in the
neighborhood or further afield.  If I were sighted and able to visually
monitor her movements and the environment, I would probably have let her go
for walks with me off leash.

My schipperke, Ryder, was a different story entirely.  Schipperkes are
characteristically curious, independent, and adventurous dogs, not the type
to prefer to stay at their person's heels over investigating an interesting
smell or chasing a cat or a squirrel.  In fact, Ryder's daddy climbed a
6-foot fence and escaped onto the road and was killed by a car.  (He was not
my dog; I was just told this story.)  But consequently, I never took Ryder
for walks off leash, despite the fact that he too competed in the obedience
ring at the Open level.

My friend Dolores, who has been a breed show exhibitor and judge for several
breeds, a sled dog breeder and trainer, and a clicker trainer of both dogs
and horses, has had rescued Australian cattle dogs which quickly learn to
follow her around her large property off leash and often accompany her to
friends' places and into town, also completely off leash.  But even Dolores
keeps her schipperkes on leash, either tethered to herself, or sometimes
tethered to the Australian cattle dog.

And I have lived through anxious periods of days or weeks with Dolores when
she was trying to find one or several of her huskies--another independent,
adventurous breed--which had escaped from their kennels and were roaming the
woods and residential neighborhoods miles from home until recaptured or
lured into baited traps.  And one of her favorite schipperkes, an old male
who was completely deaf and easily became disoriented when out of his small
exercise pen, somehow slipped out when the house door was opened,and
wandered off, and tragically was never found again.

So, a lot, I think, depends on the breed characteristics and individual
temperament of the dog, as to whether that dog can be trusted to reliably
return when called.  Training can certainly accomplish a lot in terms of
obedience.  But even with the most tractible breed and best training method
and skill, we cannot control the myriad other variables in the environment.
We all take some level of risk, of course, just by living and being out and
about in the community.  It's just a matter of being knowledgeable about our
particular dog and breed, and being realistic about the risks we are taking,
both of which I know you are, Sheila.

Best,
Ann