(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:34:01 EDT

Ok, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest! The reason I asked was due to
a client commenting that she thought it sad and unfair that I did not let Alex
 off leash in a public place. I have also heard of guide dog users who
routinely  do this.This is a park that isnt fenced and is surrounded by fairly
busy
streets, There is a pond and dogs are allowed off leash to play and to swim
in  the pond. For those who know Denver , it is Wash Park. I explained that
Alex is  too valuable to me as a guide and as my dog, to risk it. Yes, she has
awesome  recall and yes she can even be recalled off of really interesting
stuff. But, as  I pointed out, it only takes one mistake and one second for her
to get hurt  or killed. I dont know the dogs that are there and it isnt fenced.
I pointed  this out to her and highly advised her to not do it. In addition,
all I would  need now is a dogfight after last week, to really wreck things..
sigh..

There are a lot of folks who wonder why I work on off-leash obedience , if  I
dont intend to have her off leash.. Because, there will always be that one
time when you need it..when she slips out of a gate, when she is attacked and I
 drop her leash, when I drop her leash if i trip and fall. I do work in
different  folks fenced yards and with her dragging a longline alot.. and I
hope to
god I  never need it.

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-