(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:46:57 -0400

Hi, Sandy,

When I had guide dogs, I never let them off leash except at home or in a
fenced area with familiar dogs and people.  (Come to think of it, I did the
same with my pet dogs, and so do most of my neighbors with their pet dogs. I
guess it's just the "culture" of the area.)

When my kids begged me to let them take my first guide, Bailey, out in the
yard with them to play in the snow or in the autumn leaves, I would let them
take him out.  But within a minute, Bailey would be standing at the patio
doors looking in to see where I was, and wanting to come back inside and be
next to me.  Of course, when I was outside with the kids, he was perfectly
happy to be out there with me.

I don't have a fenced yard where I live now, so I keep Panda on leash even
in my backyard.  I let her graze on leash each evening when we get home.
I'm sure she wouldn't go anywhere if I let her off leash, but I don't want
to worry, so I just find it better for my peace of mind to keep her on
leash.  I find that she gets enough exercise on our daily walks and a few
minutes free play in the arena.

I do let her run in the indoor arena at the barn where my other horses live,
and she has great fun there, playing "Panda Catch", and running laps around
the arena like a little race horse!  She can also go off leash in her
trainer's backyard, where she loves to run around the flower beds and jump
and play, before settling down to graze on the grass.  After a little while,
she comes over and stands next to me where I am sitting on a bench or on the
grass, just for company and companionship.

I suppose young dogs with high energy levels might need more opportunities
to run and play.  But I have found that my guides mostly want to interact
with me.  They are just as happy having a game of tug-o'-war or fetch with
me in my family room, or even lying beside me while I work or read,  as they
would be running around in the yard.

I think the European guide dog users let their dogs off leash a lot more
than we Americans do, and in a lot more public places, or at least, that is
my impression.

Best,
Ann