(VICT) Re: Off-leash?

  • From: "AnnaLisa Anderson" <annalisa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:31:48 -0500

Hi All,

I do let Sunny run off leash at a dog park that is almost right across the
street from my condo.  I don't have a fenced yard, so I take her over there
to run.  She loves it!  Dogs that come there are well behaved for the most
part, but Sunny is not usually around them when there is a fight, which is
rare.  She is a very sweet-natured dog; she will even give up a ball if
another dog wants it.  The main thing I have to worry about with her is when
she gets a hold of tennis balls.  She loves to chew the fuzz off them,
smile, so I really have to watch her with those.  She loves to play ball,
she will play as long as someone will throw a ball for her, even if she's
drop dead tired. <smile>  I have occasionally let Sunny run in an unfenced
area, but that is at my sister's lake house where there are always people to
keep an eye on her, and it's far away from the road.  She loves playing
there in and out of the water as well.

I have a question about off leash obedience:  If you can't see your dog, how
do you know from a distance if they have performed the behavior you want?
I'm talking about sits and downs, not stay or come, as you can pretty easily
tell if your dog moves or not. <smile>  Maybe that's a stupid question, but
I'm just wondering...

Thanks all for your helpful hints... I just wish I had more time to work on
things with Sunny using C&T.  I feel like we don't do nearly enough with it.

AnnaLisa and Sundance

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:46 PM