(VICT) Off leash?

  • From: Melinda Rauch <mrauch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:11:29 -0500

Hi all,

Melinda and Smokey, My Mellow Fellow here,

I have let my dogs play off leash.  I think it's just as good for them to
be able to unwind in an unleashed situation as it is for me to unwind after
a long day.  However, I would never do this in an unfenced area, but that's
just me.  With my previous dog, I wasn't able to let her  play off leash
regularly because we lived in an apartment complex where there was no safe
area to let her play.  When we visited my husband's parents, she was
allowed to play off leash, and we all loved it.  She was a very good dog
who had a very good recall, and would never go anywhere without me.  If I
turned my back and looked like I was heading into the house, April was
right by my side.  After I was married, we moved into this house which does
have a fenced in back yard and April enjoyed it emmensely.  Like Sheila, I
never leave the dogs unattended out there because things can happen.
Smokey loves to play ball, and whenever we come back from a walk, after a
relief break, I make a point of playing ball with him to help relieve any
pent-up energy.  If we aren't able to go out for a day or two, I take him
out in the yard and do both on and off leash obedience in between ball play.

Take care, and be safe out there!

Your friends always,

Melinda and Smokey My Mellow Fellow and April, now our angel dog.
mrauch@xxxxxxxxx