[opendtv] Re: something

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:40:52 -0500

nicholas kocsis wrote:

> There was an occasion in the early fall when we had
> a warm spell during which the weakest Buffalo channels
> were lost for days on end (a Syracuse station 200 miles
> away came in wonderfully well for all of an evening).
> I blamed it on a propagation problem related to ducting
> when signal is captured by a boundary of hot and cold
> air layers in the atmosphere).

Speaking of mimicking the effects of analog, this is the perfect case for
incorporating the MPH standard into all 8-VSB sets. When these propagation
conditions occur, stations which transmit their most valuable subchannels in a
relatively robust MPH mode will still be receivable by consumers too distant
for regular 8T-VSB reception. Just like in analog times, on these days the
image quality won't be great, but at least the station is viewable. And the
closer-in receivers will go on with 8T-VSB, more or less as before.