[opendtv] Re: something

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:33:56 -0500

And we should remember that 720p/60 has long been in the standard and in use by ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc. This will be scaled and displayed as 1080p/60 on all current fixed pixel 1080p displays. But I have yet to see anything broadcast besides maybe contrived test patterns that really seems to exceed this effective resolution by much (in any format), and never with rapidly moving material.

So I really believe in 1080p displays since they look better close and make better computer displays. But 1080p broadcast may just be a numbers game.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
AVC is permitted today, John, and has been for several months
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_72_part_2.pdf

The key here is the MPEG-2 (2007) normative reference [4] which I am told (I
have yet to actually read the corrigendum) permits the appropriate number of
samples.

John Willkie