[opendtv] Re: something

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:21:30 -0500

I can't imagine anyone is transmitting 120hz or will be soon, ATSC or otherwise.

But it's a nice multiple of both 24 & 60 so both inverse telecine of movies plus 720p/60 plus deinterlaced 1080i/30 can all have judder free smooth motion if they process them all nicely in the decoders.

I think it can also do some sort of 60p 3D better in the mode where every other frame is left/right view or something. Though that also won't be broadcast anytime soon.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
120 Hz p seems to be where we're headed; I see Samsung and Sharp are
advertising that these days.

John Willkie, who wonders just who is transmitting at that rate.  Could it
be more than a bit of hype?