[opendtv] Re: something

  • From: "nicholas kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:48:08 -0500

I brought up the issue of ATSC 8VSB OTA reception recently at my local Future
Shop (Canada) consumer electronics big box store (owned by Best Buy). If there
is a single retailer who demonstrates OTA reception using a gain UHF antenna on
a rotator I would be amazed to hear of it.   The reason is obvious and has been
much discussed on this reflector and need not be resurrected.

Six years ago I became an early adopter of an HDTV set that had NTSC but no
ATSC tuner.  Being aware of the reception problems suffered by early 8VSB STB
tuners I delayed purchasing one until last year when Samsung brought out the
260F that seemed to have general approval as to its reception capability.  It
did perform well but still did not have the ability to reliably capture the
weakest received DTV signals (30 ft mast-mounted fixed antenna, 40 db amp and
50 ft of transmission line).  Located conveniently between Toronto and Buffalo,
(as I am) I have the luxury of receiving all the major network DTV broadcasts.

There was an occasion in the early fall when we had a warm spell during which
the weakest Buffalo channels were lost for days on end (a Syracuse station 200
miles away came in wonderfully well for all of an evening).  I blamed it on a
propagation problem related to ducting when signal is captured by a boundary of
hot and cold air layers in the atmosphere).  In the radar business we
attributed it to a 'weather inversion' when cars and trucks in motion could be
captured on an interstate 200 miles away while aircraft at a higher altitude
were totally invisible to air traffic controllers.

This year I bought a 32" 1080p capable Sharp HDTV with an integrated ATSC tuner
having a scan rate high enough to serve as a display for my PC and used only
occasionally to watch OTA DTV for local news coverage.  When directly connected
to the same antenna lead as the Samsung STB it was only capable of capturing a
little more than half the channels received previously.  Disappointing to say
the least.

I now direct your attention to the December issue of Consumer Reports in which
it rates LCD and Plasma DTV on every aspect except their integrated tuner (as
if it did not even exist).  One wonders if political correctness is a
contradiction of a consumer's right to all the facts about any product
especially one that offers a connection to an external antenna.  (Or is picture
quality the only matter of importance).

I attempted to send a polite critique to CR editors but apparently the website
only accepts one paragraph comments before timing out.  If they are as thorough
in their testing as they claim it would be a simple matter to compare models
with an outdoor antenna on a 30 ft mast with a simple motorized aiming device.
I assume that the consumer electronics manufacturers would be none too pleased
by the results (that is if anyone out there cared about OTA DTV reception).

Broadcast OTA DTV is an 'absurdity' unless one lives in the UK where Freeview
is available.  It will inevitably die of natural cause and then be reinvented
and resurrected by application of Yankee ingenuity (hopefully).

Until then we can all immerse ourselves in brewing beer or other worthwhile
pursuits.

P.S.  The Samsung STB is becoming increasingly rare on the shelves of U.S.
retailers while none can be had in Canada (to my knowledge).