[opendtv] Re: News: TV Sales Becoming Litmus Test for U.S. Economy

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:17:57 -0500

This sort of article really makes me wonder.

It's a bit like articles I've read about people who had to start using public
transportation, when the price of gasoline went to $4.00 and more. They were
saying how much weight they had lost just by making that one change in their
lives. To which my reaction was, huh? Just how sedentary must you be, if the
mere act of walking a few minutes to the bus stop causes a sharp weight loss?

In this case, one can only wonder how much money consumers habitually throw out
the window, if the effect of some prudent level of household savings causes
such a drastic downturn. What, they were never concerned before about "I'm a
stable provider. They may turn to me."??

Last night, we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant in Georgetown. Could be
partially due to the long weekend, but I was surprised that there were very few
patrons. How come? Much of their clientele is no doubt civil servants, whose
jobs are not affected that much by the economic woes, at least not yet. So
where were they? Or said another way, how close to the brink were they before,
when the place was typically packed on Friday nights?

Seems to me, in spite of what Craig keeps saying, FOTA TV could make a
comeback. Thanks to the economy and to the DTV conversion.