[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Hughes Gary-DJWV76" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:48:35 -0500

MPEG-2 1080p60 would require signaling Main Profile at HighP level,
which simply did not exist when most deployed receivers were built (the
amendment to H.263/MPEG-2 part 2 has a publish date of Mar '09).
Receivers should politely refuse to decode it unless they have been
built to allow it.

The cited article about ESPN makes no mention of MPEG-2. I would hazard
a guess that they plan to distribute in AVC 1080p60 and the headend
receivers will down convert to MPEG-2 720p60 until such time as the MSOs
want to offer the 1080p60 service in AVC. HBO are already doing
something similar for their HD feeds, i.e. AVC feed converted to MPEG-2
video in the headend, don't know what picture geometry they are using.

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect
Distinguished Member, Technical Staff