[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:24:18 -0500

At 4:23 PM -0800 12/10/08, John Willkie wrote:
Actually, I'm quite familiar with it, but I use it so seldom, and I haven't
enjoyed the upgrader, so I've eliminated it from my
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run key, and I thought it a
waste of time to upload and install it to answer the question.

I use VLC and WMP quite often, and last time I checked, vlc handles
quicktime quite well, without apple's overhead.  But, the site wouldn't let
me download or stream the file without the latest version of quicktime.
Perhaps you see that as a benefit?

No.

What I do not understand is why you would not download the free version of QuickTime?

Are you afraid of becoming infected by quality software?

If it is actually 29.97 frames, then I guess we are seeing the benefits of
multiple-pass encoding.

Perhaps. But real-time h.264 encoders are getting better every day.

You might take a look at some of the recent Apple special events coverage that were streamed in real time.

Cox hereabouts is at least as good as small systems like yours.  AT&T
U-verse, by the way, offers 18 mb/sec.

Thank you. So 8 Mbps is easily accessible today.

I don't complain about my bit rate at home; I haven't been charged for it
for almost a year.

And I don;t complain about my relatively slow DSL service, as it is more than adequate for downloads and the vast majority of live streaming sites today. But I suspect I will move to Cax broadband soon.