[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:12:14 -0800

Yes, USB is the bottleneck. The Divicatch tops out at about 80 Mbps
(just capturing to disk) on my Dell 2.6 GHz PC at work. Fine for
broadcast streams, but not so good for content distribution where
some folks want to do I-frame only 4:2:2 HD MPEG-2 at 150+ Mbps.

Ron

John Willkie wrote:

I guess I need to ask Regis about Enensys' plans for M/H support on these units.

As to the studly PC, that's mostly due to the USB interface, and I suspect that the upper bit limit on DVB-T/H would prevent that from being much of an issue. Even SCTE transport streams aren't usually above 38 mb/sec.

Even the Dektec PCI cards (which do less hardware processing than do the DVEO/Computer modules hardware cards) have no problem rendering a single program service on my 2.66 ghz single core Celeron box. USB is a whole different matter, though.